The HP Mobile Authentication tool features a QR code on both HP Original ink and toner cartridge security labels. After checking for the label’s holographic properties to verify authenticity, customers can capture the QR label with a smartphone to access HP Mobile Authentication and validate the label. (1) Valid labels generate a confirmation message, which indicates that the cartridge has a valid code. Invalid labels generate a warning message and a link for more information at HP’s anti-counterfeit information website.(2)
Customers who do not have the ability to scan QR codes can also validate the new label before they open the box. They can simply enter the alpha numeric code printed next to the QR Code, shown on the new security label at the HP Mobile Authentication website. The url for this website is printed on the new security label.
How does the mobile authentication feature work?
To use HP Mobile Authentication, customers should perform the following steps:
1. Visually check the label. The new HP Mobile Authentication label features holographic image-shifting properties in addition to the QR code.
Customers should perform the following steps to visually verify that the label is valid:
- Tilt box front to back to see ‘OK’ and ‘’ move in opposite directions.
- Tilt box right to left to see ‘OK’ and ‘’ move in the same direction.
2. If the package includes a new Mobile Authentication label, a smartphone QR code reader can capture the security code.
3. View the response from HP.
The HP Mobile Authentication QR code may be read with any standard QR code reader or with the reader included with the HP eSupplies app for iPhone available at the iTunes App Store.
The HP Mobile Authentication program is available only with security labels that feature the QR code.
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. The world’s largest technology company, HP brings together a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure to solve customer problems. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com.